- She was fascinated with the process of learning and continues to learn along with the students.
- On the first day of school she promised all her students that they would learn and she forged a contract with them.
- She didn't blame the students for any lack of success they had experienced. She blamed the system for failing them.
- She set extremely high standards for all the students and taught them words and concepts way beyond their grasp at first. She taught them how to reach the high standards.
- She created an atmosphere of genuine acceptance and cared about every student.
These characteristics of Marva Collins come from the book: Mindset by Dr. Carol S. Dweck